Apple now has quite the array of devices utilizing its in-house silicon, with the unveiling of its new MacBook Pro (2021) computers.
There's something for everyone, with the M1-powered iMac providing a strong Mac experience and the new MacBook Pros providing a portable choice. Both work on M1 chip by Apple.
The choice depends on for what use you want to buy a Mac. Do you want a huge display that you can use for hours and that you can share with your entire family? Or do you want a laptop that you can easily transfer well about house, airport, or coffee shop?
The iMac 24inch was released in April 2021. It has a brand-new design in seven colors, as well as Apple's M1 chip.
There are three 24-inch iMacs to select from, each with its own set of features (and many more build to order options).
The MacBook Pro has a touch bar, making it the only MacBook with one right now. Both the 24in iMac and the 13inch MacBook Pro offer respectable specifications and entry-level variants that are fairly priced.
Design and Ports:
- The design is the most visible distinction between the iMac and the MacBook Pro. The MacBook Pro is more portable, but the iMac is an all-in-one desktop designed for fixed workstations.
- Both devices provide excellent performance, however your choice is mostly based on your needs. However, in each case, Apple has made some major design enhancements worth mentioning.
- iMac is available in 7 colors; blue, green, pink, silver, yellow, orange and purple. Its screen size is 24 inch and it has 4.5k display.
- iMac has got a newly done makeover by Apple, which means it not just a simple designed desktop anymore. The main unit is just 11.5mm thick, which means it’s thinner than MacBook Pro but it takes more space than compared to MacBook Pro.
- It comes along with matching Magic keyboard and magic mouse. Both the Macs, iMac MacBook Pro have got a new design from Apple which makes them diff from previous generations.
- The new MacBook Pro has got Flat edged and square-y appearance. Apple has added little legs in the bottom in order to add a little height to it. It has touchpad with magic keyboard and a huge Trackpad.
- Speakers are located on keyboard, it has got 6 speaker system.
- MacOS is known for its gestures which make work easier and smooth for users. Like two finger scrolling, swiping with four fingers to swipe between apps.
- The MacBook Pros feature a large Force Touch trackpad for this, but because the iMac only comes with the Magic Mouse 2, the Magic Trackpad 2 is a $50 extra. Above on the top both Macs have 1080p Facetime camera.
- Because of the notch, it's more noticeable on the latest MacBook Pro models. The style isn't for everyone, but Apple claims it won't affect full screen viewing or the use of creative apps.
- The number of ports is considerable decreased in iMac when compared to previous generation. Only two Thunderbolt 4 ports, a 3.5mm headphone jack, and a port for the magnetic power connection are included in the base model iMac.
- The variant with two more USB 3 connections and Gigabit Ethernet is more expensive. The latest MacBook Pro models, in comparison, offer a greater port variety. Two Thunderbolt 4 connections, an HDMI connector, an SDXC card reader, and a MagSafe 3 port are included on all new models.
- iMac 24inch has 4480 x 2520 resolution. It doesn’t match Apple’s Pro display XDR in terms of Display. But is has 22.3 million pixels, a P3 wide color gamut and over millions of colors.
- According to Apple, it has 500nits of brightness. The side bezels are narrow, but chin Bar is a bit thick as it has to hide six speaker sound system behind it. The 24-inch iMac 2021 model falls between the earlier 21.5-inch and 27-inch iMac versions in terms of size.
- Apple’s MacBook Pro have the best Display in all lineups. It has retina display, 2560x1600 pixel resolution.
- It also has true tone, which means it adjusts its tone and brightness according to your surroundings. The maximum brightness is 500nits. While in 14 inch and 16 inch you get 100 0nits of brightness.
- The inclusion of the notch on the new MacBook Pro models is the one major disadvantage, at least for some.
- When compared to the iMac 2021, we believe that both of these systems offer excellent displays for creative workers. Along with its larger physical factor, the iMac has the advantage of a larger screen.
- iMac deserves a M1 Max/Pro chip treatment now. M1 pro/Max got a huge hype and update when compared to Intel chips and M1 chip.
- They offer a better performance, and the chips are configured up to 64GB which is needed by heavy users, iMac is the only desktop range offered by Apple, so even if the base model works on M1 chip but they should give an option to configure it to M1 pro chip or M1 Max chip. With these new chips, apple has made much wanted improvements in video editing sector.
- But the new M1 chip is good for base models. The MacBook Pro’s Performance is much faster when compared to last generation.
- Apple said that the M1 chip's CPU is 2.8 times quicker at constructing XCode projects, twice as fast vector performance in Affinity Photo, 5.9 times the 3D title render rates in Final Cut Pro, and 2.9 times the performance in Shadow of the Tomb Raider owing to its GPU.
Aside from the form factor, both of these gadgets provide a pretty comparable user experience. The new macOS Monterey is an improvement over macOS Big Sur in terms of software and will run well on both devices.
For those wishing to set up shop for working from home, the iMac 2021 is a very competent all-in-one PC. For those searching for mobility from their Mac, the MacBook Pro 2021 model remains a superb and more powerful option.
The day-to-day experience will be similar on both devices, but the MacBook Pros will perform better in creative tasks due to greater GPU performance. And if you’re looking for a good desktop option to set up your studio, or to enjoy with family, iMac should be your first choice.
The MacBook Pro 13 is an excellent travel companion since it is tiny, light, and has a long battery life. Meanwhile, the iMac is a fantastic desktop computer, thanks to its bigger display, powerful speakers, and comfortable mouse and keyboard. They also have the almost same selling price.
Also read: 10 Mac useful Shortcuts, What is Better for MBA student? iPad Pro or MacBook Air, Which MacBook Is Best For Machine Learning?